Monday 5 July 2010

Roaming around Manchester

Greetings.

It’s been a corking few months with Contact, working as A Proud Knight of the Mad Castle. Re:con have been bonding LOTS with regular get-togethers (Phil’s housewarming party was a triumph) and of course a whole load of performance scouting.

I was recently reviewing a few shows and events I’ve been to visit over the last couple of months. It occurred to me that I have been extremely Manchester focused. I think this is born out of living in a city which is so abundant with new theatre and art, plus my desire to unearth it all. Here is some unearthing:

A few events I feel I have to write about include Queer Up North which rolled into Manchester across May, bringing with it some of the most engaging performances of the north. Phil and I have already mentioned Susan and Darren & Internal, but as well I have to highlight the collection of works which came together for Three at Contact. All artists were invited to respond to the word ‘queer’ in individual ways. I remember before the performance feeling particularly stressed out and uninspired but I was pulled out of my hole of apathy. I spent the entire evening being surprised and stirred... I still have phrases & images & ideas whirring around in my brain - such as feeling grass beneath your feet & the sensation of feeling exposed – which have been offering me constant inspiration. I will be keeping my eyes open for activity from Chris Goode, Chris Thorpe and Rachael Walton.
Hope to catch Chris G perform in Tim Crouch’s The Author this summer in Edinburgh… http://www.newsfromnowhere.net/


In other news, The Anticx Asylum and The Cabaret Formerly Known as Bucket are two events which I think new artists need to be aware of in Manchester. They’re two regular showcase events for new work in an array of forms, offering a platform for new ideas in a supportive environment. There’s a genuine vibe of encouragement from the organisers, with the hosts of each event popping over to visit each other’s night. They are some of my favourite nights out in Manchester. ‘Ave a look: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000778406761&ref=ts
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000778406761&ref=ts#!/group.php?gid=23454554933&ref=ts


Another great event in Manchester was the second edition of day-long festival Mill24 at Islington Mill. This particular event featured non other than Picnic from, cough cough, my theatre company Fivethreefive Project. Well come on, if I can’t use my own blog to publicise myself then where can I?! Inspired by the building’s transition from factory to art venue, we invited audiences to help temporarily transform the dusty space into something idyllic & optimistic. We had one hour, several balls of string, paper, scissors, and a bundle load of yummy picnic food:



OH and I’m absolutely delighted to point out Theatre Sandbox has commission Proto-type Theater to create Fortnight with Bristol Old Vic. Theatre Sandbox, with Contact Theatre and various other national venues, have offered 6 commissions to artists/companies creating innovative work with pervasive media. Proto-type Theater are a little close to my heart, having been the first company I worked for after graduating. I’ve known about this project since it was a proposal, so it brings a tear to my eye to know that they’re receiving so much backing to bring the project to life. If you don’t know this company then you should. Proto-type are amazing and Fortnight is going to be epic! Watch that space now:
http://www.theatresandbox.co.uk/fortnight-proto-type-theater/

AND before I go, we’re pleased to announce that Contact’s premiere event of Pitch Party was a success! It’s a new format for Contact Theatre inviting artists who have previously shown an interest in the venue to pitch proposals for creative ideas – performances, instillation, festivals, events, you name it. The hope is to try to support the ideas which really inspire us, whether that’s through recommendations for events or a follow up meeting. The idea is to help build awareness for work happening in the region and build links for artists to the venue. We really enjoyed the event and the ideas so we’re looking forward to Pitch Party becoming a monthly feature. If you want to be involved then drop Contact a line.

Festival season has arrived so I’m off to travel around as much as I can this summer. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!


Until soon,

Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment