Friday 14 May 2010

Beady Eyes

Favourite part of being a ‘Young Producer & Programmer’ for Contact is being given a legitimate reason to spend my free time wandering around Manchester watching performances.

Some highlights:

Right now Future Everything is invading Manchester with music & digital performances and interventions. I went to check out the opening of Cu at Palace Hotel last night. Two minutes after entering the space, a host from behind the bar shouted “free wine! Come over here for free wine!” (Warmest welcome ever) I found myself absolutely entranced by a musical instrument created out of a spinning wooden wheel and glass pint glasses. For the atmosphere and eccentricity it is worth a look in.

A few of us will be spending tomorrow at Contact for Play Everything so we’ll post some info about day.

Last week, Quarantine’s unassuming beauty of a performance Susan and Darren featured as part of Queer Up North festival with Contact Theatre. Cripes, I nearly saw twice just so I could take two sets of friends… On a Quarantine note, I’m looking forward to seeing Soldier’s Song which is coming to Manchester Art Gallery for a couple of months from the 15th May. It’s basically an instillation inviting audiences to have a karaoke duet with a serving soldier. I saw a work-in-progress version of this last year in Lancaster & I’ve been keeping my beady eyes open to see if the project got taken up anywhere else.
www.qtine.com/soldiers1
If anyone manages to see this then leave a comment & tell me what you think.

Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment